Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The good, the bad and the ugly… Rocky Road cookie




I came across this recipe for Rocky Road cookies and I knew it was going to be love. I quickly set out to making a batch. I followed the recipe to a tee, something I don’t normally do. Rolled the dough, popped them in the oven and set the timer.

8 minutes later

Open the oven
Look thoroughly confused
Say aloud “What?!”

My cookies looked like… well to be honest they didn’t look good.
I was so disappointed. In just minutes I was going to meet the girls for game night and my cookies appeared less then appetizing. Oh well, there was no time to do anything about it now.

Although I thought the cookies turned out like crap, they were delicious. They were super moist and chewy.

*What went wrong? The marshmallows couldn’t take the direct heat of the pan. I’ll have to take more care while rolling the cookies to make sure that no marshmallow is exposed. Above is a photo of batch #1 ugly but good and batch #2 when I tucked the marshmallows in :)

There is an important lesson to be learned here. You can’t judge a cookie by its looks. Now hear me out on this one. They say you eat with our eyes before you eat with your mouth, and while there is truth in this statement, it is important to not let your eyes deceive you. Not just with baked goods, but with all things.

Here is the recipe. Enjoy!


Rocky Road Cookies


from Bucky’s Barbecue and Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
2. Beat together the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the egg, then beat in the egg yolk. Beat in the vanilla.
3. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until just moistened. Mix in the nuts, chips, and marshmallows by hand.
4. Roll into balls or drop by spoonfuls onto a greased and/or lined baking sheet, and press down on the cookies with your palm a bit to flatten (not too much!).
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges look golden brown. Remember that they need to cool on the baking sheet, so even if they don’t look quite set, it’s okay because they continue to cook after you remove them from the oven. Allow to finish cooling on a rack or on a different surface. Makes about 15-20 cookies.

No comments: