Monday, June 21, 2010

Aebleskiver






I first had these little treasures a few years ago and quickly became obsessed with them. Aebleskivers are Danish pancakes that are as darling as they are tasty. I looked into getting a pan from William Sonoma but they are $40 and I just couldn’t bring myself to purchase it. Disappointed I set these little buggers out of my mind.

Last summer we were cleaning out the basement/cellar and I came across a box of old pots and pans when you know what I found?!? An aebleskiver pan! I grabbed it, shouted to my mom “Do you know what this is?” didn’t wait for her response and again shouted “It’s an aebleskiver pan!” Let’s just say I was about as excited as I had ever been.

From that moment on we have been enjoying these sweet treats on a semi regular basis. I love to eat them with homemade jam and powdered sugar, lemon curd, apple butter or syrup. One of the last times we made them I tossed them in cinnamon and sugar like doughnut holes and they were divine. Here is one of the recipes I use found on allrecipes.com. If you want to fork over the 40 bucks at William Sonoma more power to you, but I have also been told that you can pick up a pan at a hardware store by other cast iron pans.

Aebleskivers

Ingredients
• 2 egg whites
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 tablespoon white sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 egg yolks
• 4 tablespoons butter, melted
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
Directions
1. In a clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak. Set aside.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, egg yolks, melted butter and buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites last.
3. Put about 1tablespoon of vegetable oil in the bottom of each aebleskiver pan cup and heat until hot. Pour in about 2 tablespoons of the batter into each cup. As soon as they get bubbly around the edge, turn them quickly (Danish cooks use a long knitting needle, but a fork will work). Continue cooking, turning the ball to keep it from burning.

• I use a ¼ measuring cup to drop the batter into the pan. If it’s not to full that should be the prefect size.
• I also use a teaspoon to or chopstick to turn them in the pan.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll swap you pulled pork for aebelskivers...

Clara said...

It's a deal!