Friday, November 14, 2008

Sugar Cookies

Is there really any better way to show someone how much you love them? Well maybe but for now this will have to do! Lets be honest, the quickest way to my family’s heart is through their stomachs. Up until I discovered how much fun cupcakes could be I always made sugar cookies when I needed something special. I remember the first boy I baked for. I was all of 14 he was 19. For Valentines Day I made him a plate full of big red hearts. I knew for sure he would fall in love with me. Although I got a heartfelt hug, fall in love he did not. I actually think he was a bit embarrassed.

Sugar Cookies
3 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ c. butter at room temperature
1 ½ c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla mix to incorporate well. Add dry ingredients and mix.
Form into 2 balls and wrap in cling wrap or wax paper. Refrigerate until firm.

Preheat oven to 375 Roll out to desired thickness. Cut into shapes.

Bake at 375 until golden brown at edges.
Cool on wire rack or paper bag

Frosting
1 lb powder sugar
1 stick butter at room temperature
1 tsp almond extract
½ - ¼ c. milk

In a mixer place powdered sugar, butter and almond. Add in milk one tablespoon at a time to reach the consistency you are looking for. I like my frosting like I like my wallet… thick!

No comments: